Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Handiham World for 13 August 2008

Welcome to Handiham World!

K0LR makes a radio contact from the boat dock at Courage NorthPhoto: Lyle, K0LR, makes a radio contact from the pontoon boat as it is docked on Lake George.

I hope you will cut me some slack as I get ready for Radio Camp. As I mention later on in Headquarters News, we are really pushing the limits of time and energy as we prepare for camp. I apologize in advance to those of you who need tech support on the website. We will help you as soon as we can.

Some of you want to contact us by radio during camp week. The same question usually comes up each year, namely, "What frequencies will you be using?"

I've tried suggesting HF frequencies in past years, but experience tells me that every operator at camp will have a unique idea about which frequency to use - and every time I've listed frequencies, the stations were on somewhere else! I can tell you that we will use W0EQO and W0ZSW as callsigns for sure, and that we do plan to be on the daily EchoLink net, including a special net on Sunday at 11:00 hours Central Time (16:00 GMT). There will be a camp EchoLink node, so campers can be contacted anytime via that node, which will transmit on a two meter frequency around camp. That means that we won't have to be tied down to a computer to stay in touch! You might even have a chance to talk with campers who are out on the lake, all thanks to our EchoLink node.

We wish you could join us deep in the pines of Northern Minnesota's lake country, but if you can't, do the next best thing - contact us on the radio!

Patrick Tice
wa0tda@arrl.net
Handiham Manager