Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Courage Kenny Rehabilitation Institute Handiham World Weekly E-Letter for the week of Wednesday, 23 April 2014

Are you ready for a power outage?  Be honest, now!

No?  Me, neither. 

The thing is, the grid in my town has been really reliable in recent years.  Even though I "nominally" have made some preparations for an emergency power supply, thanks to everything running smoothly for several years I have not found it necessary to update or even maintain my backup systems.  When I tripped a GFI with too much RF, I lost power to my main computer.  That shouldn't have happened, because the computer is protected with an uninterruptable power supply, UPS for short.  The battery in the UPS is supposed to supply instant power in the event of a power outage, but instead it let the computer die.  I pulled the UPS out of the circuit, put it on the bench, and extracted the obviously dead gel cell.  This battery is a lot smaller than the one we used on Field Day, but its chemistry is similar.  These batteries can fail - as this one obviously did - and as long as the AC power stays on, I would never know the difference.  Unfortunately, it took a power failure to alert me to the problem.


Read or listen to the entire newsletter here.